Happy National Start! Walking Day
The American Heart Association has declared Wednesday, April 16, 2008, as National Start! Walking Day. Whether you’re reading this on April 16th or another day, you can have your own Start! Walking Day.
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer in the U.S. And physical inactivity doubles the risk. Start! walking and start reducing your risk.
You can support the fight against heart disease by participating in National Start! Walking Day, Wednesday, April 16.
On this special day:
- Show your support and wear your sneakers to work.
- Take a 30-minute walk during the day.
- Make your pledge to live a longer, healthier life.
- Get involved in our goal to reach a million miles walked and a million dollars donated by the end of the day.Walking has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity, and is the simplest positive change individuals can make to effectively improve their heart health. Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes total on most or every day of the week can help you:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance mental well-being
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Did you know that for every hour of regular, vigorous exercise we do — like brisk walking — we can live two hours longer?
By joining others across the country, you’ll be a part of the solution to get America walking. From my heart to yours, let’s get walking!
Believe In Yourself,
Cathy, Certified Life Coach-Weight Loss